IREON provides a central point of access for scholarly literature in the field of international relations and area studies.
What subject fields are covered by IREON?
IREON makes possible a systematic search for journal articles, chapters of books, conference papers, research papers and studies, official documents, relevant books, and international treaties in the following fields:
- foreign and security policy
- international cooperation and development policy
- international economic policy
- European politics and transatlantic relations
- regional and country studies worldwide
- foreign cultural policy
Every title of a search result contains information on access to materials; freely
available electronic literature can be called up directly from the results hit list.
In addition, the IREON gateway provides online access to the multilingual
European Thesaurus on International Relations and Area Studies.
Which databases are offered?
Currently the following databases can be searched:
- WAO World Affairs Online
- WAO International Treaties
- Sciences Po
- FES the library catalogue of the Friedrich Ebert Foundation
- LITDOK of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
- Online Contents Service International Relations and Area Studies
The database WAO World Affairs Online is produced by FIV the German Information Network International Relations and Area Studies. The data pool is updated weekly. The providers of further databases in IREON are renowned research and documentation institutes from various European countries that have their focal point in the fields of international relations and area studies. The number of databases is increased on a regular basis (dependent on supply of data).
Who is the operator of IREON?
The Stiftung Wissenschaft und Politik - German Institute for International and Security Affairs (SWP) is the operator of IREON in connection with FIV the German Information Network International Relations and Area Studies. The FIV operates IREON in technical cooperation with Lucidea.
The databases of WPSA and PAIS can no longer be offered, due to the change of
partners for technical cooperation.
IREON has been offered on a new technical platform since Spring 2012.
New databases provided are:
The databases of WPSA and PAIS can no longer be offered, due to the change of partners for technical cooperation.
- ECONIS (Economic Information System of the ZBW Kiel)
- SCIENCES PO a qualified selection from the journal article database of Sciences Po, Paris (completed holding, not updated)
We are now working on further advances for functionality:
- European Thesaurus International Relations and Area Studies - inclusion in search capability
- Drill downs to further support searches
- Export of data to literature management systems
- User defined logins
- and much more
Do you have suggestions?
In case you have questions or suggestions regarding IREON, please turn to this address: